Adrenal diseases that influence how your body functions might be caused by excessive or insufficient production. According to an Adrenal Specialist in Ahmedabad, the Adrenal glands generate cortisol, adrenaline, and aldosterone hormones. A substantial shortage of cortisol can result in an Adrenal crisis, a medical emergency.
What are the common types of Adrenal disorders?
According to endocrinologists and Adrenal specialists, Adrenal gland disorders come in various forms. Among the most typical are:
- Addison’s illness: Also known as Adrenal insufficiency, Addison’s disease. You don’t create enough cortisol and aldosterone when you have this disease.
- Cushing’s syndrome: When you have this disorder, your cortisol levels are abnormally high. When high doses of steroids are administered to address medical disorders, this word may be used.
- Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia: This disorder, which is inherited, prevents your Adrenal glands from producing cortisol properly. Consequently, ACTH is increased. Higher levels of the male hormone may be created depending on the abnormality.
- Suppression of the Adrenal glands: This type of Adrenal insufficiency is brought on by external supplies of cortisol or comparable synthetic chemicals like prednisone or dexamethasone.
- Hyperaldosteronism: You create too much aldosterone if you have this disorder, which can increase blood pressure and cause potassium loss
- Virilization: This disorder exclusively affects females or boys before puberty and results from an overproduction of male sex hormones.
What are the symptoms of Adrenal disorders?
Depending on the hormones involved, different Adrenal diseases manifest with different symptoms. Adrenal problems often exhibit symptoms that are like those of other conditions. Cortisone overproduction symptoms, or Cushing’s disease, include:
- Obesity in the upper torso but leanness in the arms and legs. (A bump between the shoulders is referred to as the “Buffalo hump,” a frequent characteristic)
- Being exhausted and unclear
- Getting diabetes and high blood pressure
- Easily bruised skin
- Broad purplish streaks on the skin of the abdomen
High aldosterone levels can cause the following symptoms:
- Elevated blood pressure
- Low amounts of potassium
- Muscular pains and spasms
Male sex hormone excess only manifests as symptoms in females or young boys before puberty. These consist of the following:
- Developing facial hair or going bald
- Getting acne
- Speaking with a deeper tone
- Developing stronger muscles
- Increasing one’s sex drive.
- The process of becoming more manly is known as virilization.
How are Adrenal disorders diagnosed?
A specialist in hormones and endocrine disorders, an endocrinologist may be recommended by your regular doctor. Most likely, your doctor will start by asking you about your symptoms. The hormones in your saliva, blood, and urine will be evaluated by the tests they prescribe. Your doctor may request imaging tests like CT scans, MRIs, or nuclear imaging tests if they think you have a tumor.
How are Adrenal disorders treated?
Treatment for Adrenal problems is based on the condition being treated. Medication to raise hormone levels is necessary for some illnesses. For situations involving tumors, your doctor can advise surgery or radiation treatment.
Whether or not an Adrenal disease has been identified, you should always contact your doctor if you have any troubling symptoms. Dr. Moxit Shah is one of the adrenal disorder doctors available in Ahmedabad. He’s known for providing patients with the utmost care and best-suited treatment.